I know what you’re thinking already is Calipso making fun of all the models here trying to make a name for themselves ?? how dare she post that funny meme but in reality this is nothing but the total ugly truth and you models know who you are !! Stop selling yourself short and value your worth as a model we all did it Model for free for prints in exchange or for credit with the illusion of hoping to book a paid job .
I am not saying don’t do it but just be careful who you decide to collab with here are some tips to ask yourself the next time the 15 anos photographer turning fashion model photography wants to shoot you for free because you are sooooo lucky to be working with him or her on a shoot .
1) Ask him or her for a link of his work website , IG , facebook fan pages . If you run into the surprise that he only likes to take pics of half naked women then most likely he’s a perve and you have enough time to be professional about as to regect him I mean why would you even consider doing a shoot partially nude or nude if he’s not willing to pay you .
2) Ask him or her many years of experience with photography and with models cause working with models can be very frustrating sometimes they come off like pros and they have no clue on posing you can tell by the amount of selfie’s these woman take (kinda annoying) and more sad if the selfie’s look better than the actual shoot I see this happen so many times .
3) Always bring a friend a guy would be ideal cause you never know I mean you hear the story’s about these serial killers and rapist , bring an assistant to help you feel comfortable and to help guide you I get asked to tag along so many times .
4) Location is always Important first and foremost safety comes first , I went on a shoot a bit ago and mentally and physically prepared myself for the 40 minute hike we had to do , always ask if it’s ok to shoot there you don’t want to run into any issues with not obtaining permits etc .
5) If you are supplying your own wardrobe let the photographer know that perhaps he can supply the wardrobe for you he or she might have a clothing company that they have shot before in the past and willing to let you use their items any little bit helps .
6) Make-up artist and Hair stylist will make or brake your shoots so it’s always important to communicate with them daily on the certain look you want to achieve and I am saying from experience I cried once when everything went well but the make-up was not what I expected as soon as I saw the Images I was very disapointed at the MUA and at myself for not saying anything in the very beginning of the shoot , don’t be afraid to tell them that you are not happy with the look unless the MUA or Hair hired you and paid you well then your stuck suck it up doll have fun with it .
7) Be clear on how many Images and photos you are getting, photographer’s all work different and they are kinda stingy first they tell you that you are getting all the raw images and you end up with 3 edited photos only :/ Make sure he lets you see your pictures alot of the time I see a great pic or I remember a pose that I liked and asked him or her to show me and once all the pics are done that one pic that you had hoped for didn’t make the cut .
8) Don’t be afraid to Charge !!! Again Value your worth .
9) If you are not getting the price that you asked for and truly want to work with that photographer and don’t want to turn the shoot down then at least ask for gas money or to have them pay your MUA and Hair also to feed you if its going to be an all day shoot .
10) Be professional always if you have a Diva Like attitude on that shoot chances will be they will not ask you to shoot with them again , as a working model you are their walking business card remember this shoot is not a “selfie” I repeat this SHOOT IS NOT A SELFIE .
With that said and done always be open with ideas and their creativity the Photographer has a vision and if they approach you its because they saw something in you that it’s up to you to bring that vision alive I don’t want to leave out the most important part about all of this and that is too have fun on your shoot , let loose listen to their direction they might know a thing or two about modeling , also don’t forget to give credit where it is earned always credit the photographer that did that shoot with you no matter how long ago that picture was taken .
Don’t get too big headed calm down your not a Victoria’s Secret Model yet getting published will be the ideal plan and that should be your main goal , going on one shoot doesn’t make you model yet and Instagram is not your modeling agency either .
~Never Stop Learning , Because life never Stops Teaching~